Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Blamo!! from Prague

Hey there! I have just gotten back from my 10 day trip to Prague, Krakow, and Budapest. It was incredible, but very tiring. I got back on Sunday and we started classes on Monday, so this week is going to be intense. It's gonna take me a while to get all the trip up on this blog so here's Prague for now.


So we left on Friday 9/11 for Prague in the afternoon and got there in the evening. We had dinner and then our contact guy gave us a night tour to help us get aquainted with the city. Prague is really pretty at night!

The restaurant we ate in! It was really awesome even though we had 4 different types of pork.

The Prague Palace at night!

9/12

So we went on a really long tour (5 hours) in the morning of the Prague castle, St. Vitus Cathedral, the Charles Bridge, and a John Lennon memorial. Our tour guide was really nice and gave us a lot of information.

Inside a palace courtyard.Part of St. Vitus Cathedral. It was so huge I don't have a picture of all of it.

They had beautifully ornate stained glass. I'm not sure if you can really see in this picture, but it was awesome!
Jodie and I. Prague was kind of cold while we were there, hence the scarf
Inside the Prague Castle. This was once the largest hall built in Europe and was used for indoor jousting!
Me at the Prague Castle

Looking down at Prague from the Castle

We also saw the changing of the guard...well kind of. I couldn't really see it but I stood on my tip toes and took pictures. Needless to say, the pictures are not steller, so I won't post them.

Prague street!

I guess John Lennon was supposed to come to Prague, but then he wasn't allowed to or something (I was having a hard time paying attention at this point because I was really hungry) so people created this big graffetti wall. It's been painted over several times by the government, but people just keep redoing it.
We went to the famous Charles Bridge, but it was under construction and there were a ton of people on it, so I have really awful pictures. Then we had lunch and after lunch we had time to wander around on our own. Jodie and I found a quite, secluded cafe and sat and had coffee because we were really tired. In the evening we went to a soccer game of Prague's team Sparta. It was really fun!!
9/13

We went on a tour of the Jewish quarter in the morning and went to see the Czech opera The Bartered Bride by Bedrich Smetana. The opera was really good and it's a huge symbol for the Czech people. We had more free time after the opera and in the evening we went on a boat cruise up and down the river that runs through the city. The boat made me feel kind of ill so I went to bed right after it.


The oldest synagogue in Prague
The Jewish town hall of the old Jewish ghetto
Paul and I (we are both Jewish!)

Jodie and I again

The Astronomical Clock!

On the 14th we left for Krakow! Prague was awesome! Definitely my favorite of the 3! Stay tuned for the rest of the trip!


Auf Wiedersehen!

1 comment:

  1. Wow! That's a whirlwind tour! Looks great though. :) Happy Big #21 B-Day tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete